Thursday, April 28, 2011

Attitudes

Its funny how much my students complain before and after class, but during class they visually demonstrate interest and participate in the lesson to the fullest degree. It almost seems that students, especially those in middle school, feel they cannot verbalize liking anything for fear of peer judgement.
Most of my students seem to enjoy the effort I put into teaching. I have not yet done a stereotypical band rehearsal where you come in, warm up, and straight up rehearse the music. I always have something, a new listening activity, a new worksheet, a mini music history presentation, new stretches and movements, and occasionally I even perform for my students.
They smile, they laugh, the commit themselves, they work hard, and improve daily. Yet they pretty much all act like they are "too cool" to be in band. Students are a unique species. I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog. You are going to be a great teacher...or already are! My one piece of advice as a fellow music teacher is one word- Ibuprofen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinkin of putting a bottle in my desk...

    ReplyDelete